Tove Festival – a whole day seminar about Tove Jansson – will be arranged in Finland for the first time on September, 18th. Last year ́s Tove Festival in Stockholm was a talked-about and sold out success, which will now come to Svenska Teatern in an adaptation for the Finnish audience. The tickets are released on Thursday, June 3rd, at 12 p.m. via Svenska Teatern's ticket system and at lippu.fi.
Tove Jansson, the visual artist, writer, poet, playwright and creator of series had a courage that can be seen in her entire production and private life. She created art that continues to inspire writers and artists today. We naturally feel that she should have a festval dedicated to her life´s work in her home town!
The host Christoffer Strandberg will together with invited writers, musicians and Tove experts, take the audience on a dazzling visual journey of archival material of Tove and the people who knew her. We will discuss subjects like the queer aspects of Tove´s art, take a look at her continuing impact on the Finnish litterature of today, get an insight into the music created around her cultural legacy and take a deep dive into the extensive academical research around Tove´s body of art. Guests include Alma Pöysti, Pirkko Saisio, Anni Sinnemäki, Mark Levengood, Kaj Korkea-aho, Tuula Karjalainen, Sirke Happonen and Kasimir Sandbacka. There will also be musical performances by Lauri Porra (Stradovarius) and Emma Klingenberg (Tove – visdiktaren).
Tove Festival takes place 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on September, 18th at Svenska Teatern. The programme on stage is in Finnish and Swedish. A limited amount of tickets are sold through Svenska Teatern (in Swedish). The tickets for Tove Festival in Stockholm sold out fast, so be sure to book your ticket already now to one of the most awaited cultural events this fall. Tove Festival is arranged by Moomin Characters in co-operation with Svenska Teatern.
Overview of the program
Welcoming words by host Christoffer Strandberg
- Discussion: Tove Jansson´s impact on Finnish literature today (in Finnish)
- Moderator: Touko Siltala
- Guests: Pirkko Saisio, Anni Sinnemäki
- “An expedition into new domains of great simplicity and beauty”
- Discussion of the queer aspects of Tove Jansson´s literature and life (in Swedish)
- Moderator: Kira Schröder
- Guests: Mark Levengood, Kaj Korkea-aho, Mia Österlund
- Emma Klingenberg performs songs from “Tove Jansson – visdiktaren”, her concert of songs written by Tove Jansson (in Swedish and Finnish)
- Discussion: The academic research around Tove Jansson´s literature and art (in Finnish)
- Moderator: TBC
- Guests: Sirke Happonen, Tuula Karjalainen, Kasimir Sandbacka
- Alma Pöysti reads Tove Jansson´s letters to Eva Konikoff (in Finnish)
- Discussion: Creating music based on Tove Jansson´s literature (in Finnish)
- Moderator: Nanette Forsström
- Guests: Lauri Porra, Emma Klingenberg
- Concert with Lauri Porra and musicians of the music Porra has created around the Moomin stories and illustrations
Closing words with Sophia Jansson, creative director of Moomin Characters Ltd (in Finnish)
Exclusive archive material like interviews with Tove Jansson and the people that knew her will also be shown. The programme is continually updated here.
The tickets are released on Thursday, June 3rd, at 12 p.m. via Svenska Teatern’s ticket system and at lippu.fi.
Religion might not be the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to Tove Jansson, but if you look closely, you can find biblical images in both the Moomin books…